MAPS AND RESOURCES
Below is a selection of maps and resources relevant to
St James's Graveyard, it's historical context, associations and surrounding environment.
We would like to thank the team at FÁS and St James's Development Association for their work and contribution of research on St James's Graveyard, and to Thaddeus Breen for sharing photographs from the project in 1988 listed below.
The digitised files of the St James's Graveyard Project memorial inscriptions and booklet were prepared by and are downloadable on this site courtesy of Sean Murphy, former project chairman. Sean Murphy continues independent research into the history of St James's Church and Graveyard and his most recent articles can be read on his Academia.edu website at https://ucd.academia.edu/SeanMurphy.
We would also like to thank the Guinness Archive Team for their support in sharing their archival material and to John Tierney who has conducted extensive research on St James's Graveyard which is available at the Historic Graves Project website here.
MAPS AND PHOTOGRAPHS
PHOTOGRAPHS FROM FÁS SURVEY - ST JAMES'S DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
In 1988 FÁS cleared the site of dense weeds and brambles and conducted a grave site survey, creating an accurate map of the graveyard showing the exact location of all graves and tombstones. They discovered the earliest recorded headstone from 1627 and found two stones which are likely to have been part of the medieval church. In all, the survey mapped 705 tombstones and recorded around 500 headstone transcriptions. Below are photographs taken during the time of the research and graveyard survey.